Despite the continual advancements being made in identifying and treating medical conditions, neither the system nor the doctors are infallible. Mistakes can and do happen, more often than we might like to think. In Canada, 10%-15 % of patients are misdiagnosed every year; the number is likely higher, since many medical errors are never discovered (“When doctors make bad calls,” Globe & Mail, Feb 24, 2012).
When it comes to the health of you and your family, it is essential that you make the right decisions. Best Doctors offers a suite of healthcare services that range from simple health education to providing second medical opinions on complex diagnoses and treatments. This service is provided to individuals and organizations through participating insurance brokers and directly from Best Doctors.
If you have a serious medical condition, Best Doctors will review your medical records, images and pathology to confirm your diagnosis and examine your treatment options. They can also help you find a specialist or treatment facility inside or outside of Canada.
Best Doctors for your business
When workers are dealing with personal healthcare issues, it creates challenges for employers:*
- Studies show that costs associated with absence due to illness are, on average, 2-3 times more than costs for medical or drug claims.
- Organizations with highly effective health and productivity programs have turnover rates 40% lower than those of competitors.
- In 2008, an average of 9% of full-time employees took short-term disability leave and approximately 2.5% took long-term disability leave.
When employers add Best Doctors to their employee benefits program, they address issues that can impact their bottom-line. This valuable and budget-friendly benefit helps employers:
- Provide a benefits program that helps organizations retain top talent
- Remain competitive and improve job satisfaction
- Reduce absenteeism by ensuring the right diagnosis and treatment
- Positively impact short and long-term disability costs
For more information about Best Doctors, contact: 416-642-4210
* Conference Board of Canada, “Making the Business Case for Investments in Workplace Health and Wellness,” June 2012).